Every October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month, and this year’s theme is “Do Your Part. Be Cyber Smart.”
To help everyone do their part, here are 31 scary cybersecurity statistics, one for each day of the month.
- A business falls victim to a ransomware attack every 11 seconds.
Cybersecurity Ventures, 2020
- 37% of organizations were affected by ransomware attacks in the last year.
- Average ransomware payments have grown 82% in the last year; from $312,000 in 2020 to $570,000 in 2021.
Palo Alto Networks, 2021
- Cost of a ransomware attack: 54% is the actual ransom, 46% is other costs, such as lost business, cost to remediate, etc.
- Average ransomware remediation costs have doubled in the past year, from $761,000 to $1,850,000.
- 77% of organizations go offline when hit with ransomware; 11% are down for more than 2 weeks.
Keeper Security, 2021
- The average downtime a company experiences after a ransomware attack is 21 days.
- 79% of surveyed cyber IT professionals said no, they would not pay a ransom.
Menlo Security, 2021
- 32% of firms pay the ransom when breached, up from 26% in 2020.
- Ransom payers that recovered their data: 71.6% in 2021, up from 66.8% in 2020.
Cyber Edge Group, 2021
- 80% of ransomware victims who paid the ransom experienced another attack soon after. 46% got access to their data but most of it was corrupted.
- 60% of ransomware victims experienced revenue loss and 53% stated their brands were damaged as a result.
- 78% of cyber professionals are most worried about business reputation after a cyber-attack.
- 38% of companies reported that they lost customers after a breach.
- 47% of employees cited distraction as the reason for falling for a phishing scam while working from home.
- Cyber Insurance increased 56% in Q2, 2021.
- Cyber insurance covered 59% of the ransomware payment and other costs, possibly reflecting deductibles and coverage caps.
- RockYou2021, a dark web posting of 8.5 billion stolen passwords in a 100GB text file, exceeds the global population and can be used to hack computer services if people re-use these exposed passwords.
- 31% of U.S. workers lend their work-issued laptops to friends, family, or peers.
HP Wolf Security, 2021
- 44% of organizations had a breach via a 3rd party supplier in the past 12 months.
Ponemon Institute, 2021
- 207 days is the average time to identify a breach, which means hackers are in your system for over 6-months.
- 93% consider an organization’s trustworthiness prior to purchasing. 59% would avoid doing business with a company cyber-attacked in the past 12 months.
- 35% of companies reported that their employees either circumvented or disabled remote security measures.
Palo Alto Networks, 2021
- Only 21% of security professionals think their current security controls are adequate.
- In 2021, the largest ransomware payout ever was made by an insurance company – $40 million.
Business Insider, 2021
- About 1 in 6,000 emails contain suspicious URLs, including ransomware.
- Since 2020, 1,681 higher education organizations have been affected by 84 ransomware attacks.
- Over 204,000 people experienced a login attempt to access their banking information.
Hub Security, 2021
- In 2021, the average ransomware payout by a mid-sized organization was $170,404.
- 43% of all cyber-attacks target small businesses.
- The top 4 brand phishing attempts include Microsoft (43% of all brand phishing globally), DHL (18%), LinkedIn (6%), and Amazon (5%).
Check Point Research, 2020
Cybersecurity Awareness Month exists to remind us all that we each must do our part to keep the online world safe and secure. Fortress SRM provides organizations full-spectrum cybersecurity services including Security Consulting, Incident Prevention, Managed Security, and Incident Response to minimize your risk of business disruption.
For more information Contact Fortress SRM.